Monday, March 12, 2012

Butterscotch and Chocolate Chip Bagels





I LOVE Butterscotch Bagels like a Pig loves slop! Here is the recipe if you are interested. Please Note: though I worked at Bubbas in Arlington, this is NOT the recipe from there...I never saw the recipes, in fact, you had to sign a waiver to get to see one! LOL. This is just a basic bagel recipe I tweaked...and they are just as good as Bubbas! 

Ingredients:
4 1/4-4 1/2 cups All purpose Flour
2 packages Active Dry Yeast (4 1/2 tsps) 
1 1/2 cups warm water (closer to hot, but not boiling)
3 T sugar
1 T salt 
1 12 oz bag of butterscotch chips (chocolate chips..whatever) 

In a large (mixer) bowl combine 1 1/2 cups of the flour and all the yeast. In separate bowl combine water, sugar and salt. Add to dry mixture then beat at low speed for 1/2 a minute (LOL, 1/2 a minute, so dumb) scrap sides while mixing. Now Beat at High speed for 3 minutes. Start adding enough of the remaining dough to make a moderately stiff dough. Now is the best part, add the Butterscotch or Chocolate chips. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead 8-10 minutes until dough is smooth and elastic. ( I kneaded the dough in my Kitchen Aid, at stir speed with my dough hook.)  Then cover let dough rest 15 minutes. 
  Preheat the oven to 375. Take dough and cut into 12 portions. Shape into bagel shape. You will need to push all the little chip pieces into the dough, as best you can. Make sure you enlarge the hole in the middle, it will get smaller with the next process.
Now, with a big pot, wide not necessarily tall, (I use my 6 qt Dutch Oven) bring a bunch of water ( 1 gallon or so) and a Tablespoom of sugar to a boil.  Once it is boiling, reduce the heat to simmer. Then when the boil reduces add 4-5 bagels at a time to the water. (They should float.) Cover, and leave in the water 7 minutes, turning once. (You will loose some chips in this process, no worries) I use a slotted spoon to bring them out of the water so they drain. Then place them on a greased cookie sheet and bake (all 12) at 375 for 30-35 minutes.  
I discovered this recipe is long, but easy. I would say give it about 2 hours for the first time. I also suggest, never trying to make these when you get up at 5 am...until youve had at least one full cup of coffee. :) I learn most things in life the hard way. 

2 comments:

  1. Are those tablespoons or teaspoons for the sugar and salt?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tablespoons. Seems like alot, right. But they turn out Yummy! Sorry for the late reply, my computer has not been working great. I hope you enjoy making them!

      Delete

Hey, feel free to say whatever comes to mind. However, you have been forewarned: I have absolutely No interest in arguing with anyone. I might block extra crappy comments, but that is the most response opposing comments will get. Honest questions, I'm happy to attend to...Debating just aint my thang.